Photographing friends’ weddings is especially fun for me, and Danny and Sahar’s wedding at Lake Oak Meadows in Temecula was no exception. There were so many wonderful things about the couple and the day that made this really special and memorable.
- Danny and Sahar got married on my 5th wedding anniversary, so I was in an extra-sentimental mood and it was great to celebrate their wedding with my husband Matt there as a guest. I love that we’ll always be anniversary twins now.
- Sahar’s brother read the very touching “Union” by Robert Fulghum during the ceremony, which was the exact same reading my brother read at our wedding. The tears were flowing a little behind my camera!
- Sahar’s father literally wrote the book on The Persian Wedding, and I loved the way some of the traditional Persian ceremonies, like feeding each other honey and having sugar cones rubbed over the couple, were incorporated alongside modern elements. Many of the decor elements for these traditions – like the mirror, the lamp, the fabric for the sugar cones, the rug for the ceremony – were from Sahar’s parents wedding and brought over from Iran. It made those parts of the day all the more special that they had that history.
- Sahar’s mom and aunt made her bouquet, her dad made the beautiful fruit crate centerpieces and pie stands, and several relatives helped with all the other flowers. Really beautiful DIY decor!
- Their officiant was a friend who took advantage of California’s Deputy for a Day program to legally perform their ceremony and he did such a great job personalizing it for them.
- Danny’s vows included a subtle reference that “Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose.” So awesome.
- Sahar actually had walking pneumonia the whole week before and during the wedding! Not that you could tell from her amazing attitude and how much she glowed throughout the day, but she gets serious props for being such a trouper!
- Danny’s nephews were probably the best reception dancers I’ve ever seen. They kept the party going all night with their breakdancing, splits, and general craziness/adorableness.
- Instead of cutting a cake, they had a pie buffet. Yep, pie buffet!
Special thanks to all the other vendors that helped make the day so lovely!
Venue – Lake Oak Meadows, Temecula
Caterer – A Catered Affair, Temecula
Pies – Pie ‘N Burger, Pasadena
Cinematographers – Killer Nostalgia
Sahar’s dress – Pronovias
Make Up Artist – Cecile Do
Hair – Homer, Homer Cuts